Urology/Painful Urination

I just read a post from 10/23/2008 that you answered where a man had painful urination but did not have a UTI or STD. I have the exact same problem. For about two weeks now I have had painful urination, but have tested negative for all STD's and UTI's. The symptoms seem to get worse after I ejaculate. I also have redness around the end of the urethra. While waiting for the doctors to try and diagnose I took a course of antibiotics (clindamycin) just in case, and that has not helped. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Clindamycin is not very helpful in most urinary tract problems.  Prostatitis is another possibility and again clindamycin is not usually recommended for prostatitis.  A careful rectal examination might help clarify if there is any sign of prostatic inflammation, but even without a course of doxycycline or minocycline might be used clinically.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute