Urology/Painful Urination

Question
I just read a post from 10/23/2008 that you answered where a man had painful urination but did not have a UTI or STD. I have the exact same problem. For about two weeks now I have had painful urination, but have tested negative for all STD's and UTI's. The symptoms seem to get worse after I ejaculate. I also have redness around the end of the urethra. While waiting for the doctors to try and diagnose I took a course of antibiotics (clindamycin) just in case, and that has not helped. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Answer
Jimmy:

Clindamycin is not very helpful in most urinary tract problems.  Prostatitis is another possibility and again clindamycin is not usually recommended for prostatitis.  A careful rectal examination might help clarify if there is any sign of prostatic inflammation, but even without a course of doxycycline or minocycline might be used clinically.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD