This is a question about pre-cum. About a week ago I had sex with a female friend (unprotected). But I was not able to ejaculate (went on for 25 minutes). It there a real (not  theoretically ) chance she could  get pregnant from this?

Buster, pre-ejaculate ("precum") is a normal secretion of a mucous like material from the paired Cowper glands that empty into a man's proximal urethra.  The glands are analogous to the Bartholin glands located at vaginal introitus.  The discharge they produce is in response to sexual arousal & is distinctly different from ejaculation.   The amount of pre-ejaculate varies with each individual but will be greater if one has not been sexually stimulated for a while.   The function of a man's pre-ejaculate is to lubricate the urethra & to neutralize any residual acid urine. These actions allow the semen to be discharged more easily & improve sperm viability. Pre-cum theoretically does not contain sperm although small amounts could possible leak into it.  Therefore, the likelihood of impregnating your partner is quite remote.  Although theoretically it takes only one sperm to fertilize a woman's ovum, the probability of this happening from the scenario described above is infinitesimally low.  The reason is that if the semen contains less than 15 million sperm per milliliter, the man is considered subfertile.  If his count is less than 1 million sperm per milliliter, the chance of him impregnating a women in significantly less than 1%!  If he has just a few residual sperm in his pre-cum, urethra or urine, the likelihood of him causing pregnancy is even more exceedingly remote.  Good luck.  

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS