Urology/Having problems after Mumps

Question
QUESTION: Hi doctor,

I am fifteen years old. I had mumps on 2nd of feb. and after  1 0r 2 weeks i had my testicles swelling . I consulted a doctor and had ciprofloxacin 8 hourly for 5 days. After that there was no swelling.At that time my left spermatic cord was enlarged, but it went ok after some days .

But after some weeks, the spermatic cord enlarged again .A doctor of medicine prescribed me Prednisolone (10 mg) for 5 days(3 tablets daily - 1 at morning,1  after noon, and 1 at night). Today is the third day that I am taking prednisolone but my spermatic cord is still enlarged and suddenly today after running for some time , both of my testicles became hard . I am very much worried.Why my spermatic cord is enlarged after having mumps?Why my testicles got hard today after running? What should I do doctor ?

ANSWER: James:

I am concerned about giving prednisolone to a 15 year old. I would recommend that you consult a urologist for another opinion.  Spermatic cord enlargement and testicular swelling can indicate a localized infection such as epididymitis, orchitis or something similar.  It is unusual to see mumps in your age group.  

QUESTION: Doctor , why my testicles got hard that day after running? Is it due to taking prednisolone ?

Answer
James:

I can't determine what happened to the testicles after your run.  They should not normally get hard.  This could be from several possible sources or even indicate a hernia.  I don't believe that the prednisolone was the source for the swelling.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD