Urology/swollen tip and other questions

Hello, my name is Steven and I am 16. I wanted to know if my not-at-all recent swelling
of the lips of my penis are a problem. See... I masturbate a lot and I noticed this years ago but they never heal, not even after, let's say, a week of no masturbation . I feel no pain and I am also a virgin so i would like to know if there's something I should worry about (also, not circumcized).

Avram, as you might imagine, for this type of problem it is not possible for me to make an exact diagnosis or give recommendations over the internet because of the inability to take a more complete history and do a physical examination.  However, I shall try to help you.

Since the swelling has been present for "years" and does not seem to recede when you discontinue masturbation for a week or so, it seems unlikely due to masturbatory  trauma.  I do not believe it is anything you should "worry about" as this may well be a normal anatomical variant.  It could also just be some local irritation to soap (especially if you take baths as opposed to showers) or a mild allergy from the detergents used to launder your underwear.  You might try taking showers rather than baths (with the latter soapy water can wash into the urethra & potentially cause irritation) or ask your mother to use the mildest laundry detergent available to her.  If still concerned, a visit and examination by a urologist should be considered so that he can examine the area.  Good luck.  

Arthur Goldstein, M.D.

Problems or questions related to the field of urology; ie urinary stone disease, urinary cancers (kidney, bladder, prostate, testis, etc.), urinary infections, etc. I no longer answer questions related to erection problems or male sexual dysfunction.

I am retired from the active practice of urology. My 34 years was totally in the clinical field and involved the entire gamut of genitourinary problems, with special interest in endourology.

American Medical Association, American Urological Association, American College of Surgeons

College degree - BS Medical degree - MD Master of Science - MS