Urology/Urinary trouble

Question
I am a 48 year old female who started having problems about a month ago with pressure and voiding cola colored urine.  I went to Dr and they checked my urine and said it did have blood in it but no infection.  If it continued to come back - so it did not improve and I did think maybe I was trying to pass a kidney stone because of some pain in my lower right side and then I would pass blood in my urine.  

I ended up going back to Dr after 2 weeks because it felt like an bladder infection to me and he gave me Cipro and sent my urine off for a culture.  4 days later I was back at the Dr because the Cipro wasn't helping the urgency of feeling like I needed to go to bathroom every 20 minutes.  Dr said my culture was negative for growth, still blood in my urine.  Gave me Bactrim and sent me for a CT Scan.  

CT Scan showed a 3mm kidney stone in my left kidney unobstructing.  

Got in to see a Urologist last week and he does not feel it is the kidney stone causing my problem and is going to send my urine off for lab to check for abnormal cells - and I go back in a week for a scope of my bladder.  He did tell me to continue taking the Bactrim (10 days).  

The Urologist said we needed to rule everything out and they if everything was ok we would concentrate on the kidney stone.  He asked if I had ever smoked or been around hazardous chemicals which the answer to both were no.  

Needless to say now I am worried.  However the Bactrim seems to have helped me tremendously, the urgency feeling has subsided but my urine is medium yellow color.    

In your opinion do you think Bactrim would help if I did have a disease like Bladder Cancer?  Any advice you could give would be helpful.

Answer
Sandy:

Bactrim is obviously not going to do anything with a problem like bladder cancer.  The fact that you have improved on it suggests an infection, but it's best to have the cystoscopy by the urologist and be sure that the bladder is healthy with no tumor at this point.  I agree with your urologist who sounds like he knows what he is doing and you should follow his advice.  Most likely, nothing serious will be found but it's wise to be absolutely sure.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD