Urology/urine culture

QUESTION: sir when i saw 3 to 4 episode of painless bright red urine in sunday then i went to doctor he told to do blood test ultrasuond and urine test all the test were normal rbc was nil in urine my urine never become that colour next 2 week later i again have urine test which saw that rbc was nil and all was normal i have no problem with urination but what could be the reason of that day urine colour

ANSWER: Pankaj:

This time you're asking what are the possible causes; essentially a laundry list.  OK, but it won't help you much.

Renal pelvis tumor, prostatitis, inverted bladder papilloma, bladder tumor, hemorrhagic cystitis, bladder infection, renal or ureteral stones, bladder calculi, arterio-venous malformations, renal vein thrombosis, ureterocele, coagulopathy, Alport's syndrome, postl-streptococcal infection, glomerulonephritis, Goodpasture's syndrome, Henoch-Schonlein purpura, Systemic Lupus disease, sickle cell disease, tramua, etc., etc.

That's why we recommend seeing a pediatric urologist.

QUESTION: sir my age is 15 year old can it be bladder cancer or something other tumor

ANSWER: Pankaj:

A tumor is one possibility but this is relatively uncommon in this age group.  However, that is not a guarantee either.

QUESTION: my ultrasound of abdomen was normal can there is still chanccer of tumor anywhere

Ultrasound is painless, cheap and has no radiation. It is also indistinct and not very reliable for lesions less tham 0.5 cm in size.  So the answer is yes; you could still have a tumor or a cancer that the ultrasound may have missed.  For example, tumors in the bladder are generally not visible on ultrasound.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute