Urology/urine test

last week my doctor gave me a plastic cup and told me to fill it up with urine.i filled plastic cup with urine and sealed the cap tighty.due to my c carlessness  theurine sample fell out of my hand and fell to urine leaked out of plastic container but it was really formy.could this effect accuracy of test in picking up protein,albumin,or blood in urine.also how accurate is dipstick in picking up albumin and blood in urine

Dropping the cup would have no effect on the chemical tests.  Likewise, no assumptions can necessarily be made about the fact that it might have appeared "foamy".  Urine dipstick tests are quite sensitive on protein and blood in the urine, but they are only "yes or no" types of tests.  A more accurate test is usually done next if the dipstick is positive.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute