Urology/Beta Blockers

Interested in if you have run across a similar scenario.  First off, I have some back issues stemming from an injury years ago, I take the usual meds including pain killers etc.  About 2 months ago I went for an oral procedure, the dentist gave me a shot of epinephrine, as a result I developed a urinary problem, seems this drug can cause such issues.   The urologist gave me as temporary fix until I normalized a rapaflo to restore urine flow.  Worked well, but as a side effect, my back issues dramatically diminished to the point I was not using the meds for the first time in quite a while, even lasted for a while after I stopping the Rapaflo.   Have you run across a similar scenario using these beta blockers and back issues?  My reasoning is they cause some type of relaxing in the pelvis beyond the intended bladder neck muscles. Thanks.

Rapaflo and similar medications are Alpha blockers, not Beta blockers (which are typically used for blood pressure).  They are designed to be specific to the urinary tract, but if it is helping your back I won't argue the point.  This is not a common response so you are lucky.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute