Urology/Blood in urine

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I recently had a routine urine test and culture. I am 46, in menopause, no menstruation. The test showed I had 2 plus for blood in urine though I see no blood when I urinate. Dr will retest in 3 weeks and we will go from there. Needless to stay I feel like I can't function I'm so scared I have bladder or kidney cancer. Everything else was normal except for that. Does blood always mean cancer? I have no other symptoms of anything except for some right hip pain. I am overweight and sleep on my right side. Not sure if that is why or if it could be a sign of something with my bladder. Please advise. Thank you.

ANSWER: Michelle:

Relax.  Most of the time, blood traces that are not visible are due to infection or to nothing that can be diagnosed.  In only a few cases do we find cancers or stones.

Most of the time, the workup includes an x-ray or CT scan of the kidneys, a urine cytology test, and a cystoscopy where we look into the bladder.  You will need to consult a urologist for these tests if the blood in the urine continues.  Meanwhile, don't worry.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply.  What I also found strange on the results page was the red blood cells were normal but the blood in urine showed 2 plus.  Is that considered a lot of blood?  I also found some results in 2010 that showed a trace of blood.  It is so hard to relax and not worry about it though my Dr wasnt concerned and said we will retest and go from there.  The results did not show an infection thats why Im so nervous.  Thanks again.

Answer
Michelle:

Don't get anxious about the amount of blood.  The actual amount is meaningless.  The only important thing is whether it's visible bleeding (gross hematuria) or invisible (microscopic hematuria) which is whay you apparently have.  Like I said before, the vast majority of patients with exactly your level of bleeding have nothing serious.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD