You are here:

Urology/Burning from chemical burn caused by Soap


So this is quite a big problem for me but I think I know what to do. I have a doctors appointment booked today at 11:50AM. I still want to find out from a specialist like yourself. Ever since I was 12 I had a very large red streak down my penis where my urethra is. I somehow got a lot of soap into my penis and it burned like CRAZY. It was probably the worst feeling ever.

Now It's been 10 years and I've had the burning feeling ever since. It comes and goes. I'm finally convinced that its soap in general. I'm just going to give up soap and just use water to wash myself. It's not worth it. I have problems urinating at work and even when I get stressed out I feel like its harder to urinate because it burns so much. I don't have an STD I've had urine samples taken before. I've also had one doctor prescribe me cream when I was around 14 but I gave it up because it wasn't as bad back then. Now it's getting worse because I didn't get rid of the big red streak. It starts at the top but not at the tip of my penis and it goes all the way down almost to my testicles. It stops before that.

Do you think its just urethra inflammation caused by chemical burns in soap? Could I have permanently damaged my urethra from using normal soap? I want your opinion because it'll help me with my decisions. If I can get rid of this red streak I'll be soo happy. Currently it burns pretty bad when I urinate and I can't even pass more then 100-150 ml of urine. I can hold the stream for maybe 1-2 seconds and sometimes I can get a good stream but I get really teary eyed afterwards. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal.


I doubt that the relatively minimal discomfort from soap would cause such a severe and long lasting urethral reaction.  However, it may have exposed some underlying or pre-existingproblem.  We would not normally recommend any surgery just for the red streak as trying to remove it may ultimately cause more harm than good.

In medicine, almost anything is possible, but a permanent injury from simple soap exposure would be exceedingly unlikely.  Prostatitis is a possibility.  You should talk to your physician or consult a urologist.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.