Urology/epidedimis or henia

dear doc, in 2006 i had experienced a severe pain in both my testicles, at first i thought i had contracted a sexual transmitted disease but when i checked  for R.P.R TEST was negative. this problem went silent after some time on antibiotics like Cipro doxyline nd some pain killers, from that time till in 2008 at college that's when i stated experiencing some pain and kind of epidermis enlargement plus lingering in both testicle sides, the pain that usually comes for 30min-1hr, then it ceases, i went to the hospital and i was diagnosed wt U.T.I, i was put on antibiotics once again, but surprisingly is that the pain can come and go in short while. F or me now it is just as if am living with this disease because for 7years now nothing comes on to treat this permanently, am tired of not knowing what kind of a disease is this because not even doctors attended on me have identified what is it, they just keep telling me that it mighty be hernia and have to give it time, but yet all those years no symptom of hernia. am scared can this problem affect my fertility before it is identified. please help any adverse, am in pain as am writing to you and when touching my scrotum i can even feel the epidermis and vas deference tangible enough and feeling pain  when pressing on my my pelvic plus pain when am coughing. please help.

thanks for your help in advance.

yours xss

Your symptoms are probably not epididymitis but could be either a hernia or prostatitis.  The experts in these areas are the urologists (prostatitis) and the general surgeons (hernias).  I would make an appointment with one or the other to start with.  If they confirm the diagnosis, then you can be started ont he correct treatment.  If not, then you will probably be referred to the other specialist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute