I am a 29 year old male. A few weeks back I went to the doctor with pain in my scrotum. The pain was only on my right side and in the lower right groin area. I thought it was due to a hernia but my doctor examined me and told me it was epididymitis and gave me an antibiotic ( sulfamethoxazole)and anti inflammatory med (meloxocam). At first I thought it was getting better but now it seems just as bad if not worse. I have been done with the antibiotics for about 10 days but still have the anti inflammatory meds. The majority of the pain now seems to be on my flank and lower right back area although when I hit or touch my testicle a certain way it will trigger the pain in the scrotum. When I last went to the doctor he felt my scrotum and said everything felt fine in terms of feeling for cancer but the fact that the meds didn't make it go away makes me a little nervous. Does epididymitis come back after meds normally or should I be concerned about a more serious issue? I should add that I am married so STD's are not a factor.

Epididymitis can recur even after antibiotics.  The fact that you now have pain in the flank is a little concerning as this would not be typical for epididymitis.  A scrotal and/or renal ultrasound would be helpful in sorting this out.  You may want to consider consulting a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute