Urology/Feels like UTI, but negative

I am a 27 year old woman with a history of UTIs. Five days ago, I awoke with the feeling of onset of UTI - urgency, burn, discomfort. I went to a general physician the same day and gave a urine sample. It was negative for everything. The physician gave me a two-day prescription for Diflucan in case it was yeast-related. My symptoms only got worse so I began taking an Azo to get by and took four doses in two days. The next day I took an at-home UTI test (before the first Azo) that was positive for leukocytes, but negative for nitrates (suggesting an infection, but non-bacterial). I then saw a gyno PA the day after who performed a pelvic exam. Everything was normal, all healthy bacteria, no noticeable yeast. She gave me an anti-fungal, anti--yeast, steroidal ointment to help, but it has not helped. Today, the symptoms still remain. This morning, I noticed something odd. A small amount of bright red matter after wiping. It looked similar to vaginal discharge of uterine lining, blood, and mucous, but it was decidedly different. It was very small, very bright red, a mucous-like consistency, but stayed very much in tact almost like a loose ball. I believe that it came from my urethra. There has been no noticeable blood in my urine. Could this be a blood clot? Or possibly some of the urethral lining? Any advice would be appreciated as I've already been to two doctors in the last four days.

It is not true that a dipstick positive for leukocytes and negative for nitrites indicates a non-bacterial infection.  Not every UTI will generate nitrites.

It is impossible to determine the nature of the "red matter" you've noted from the available information.

You may want to check with a urology specialist, urogynecologist or infectious disease expert.  You could have an unusual bacterial infection which are far more common than you might think.  Meanwhile, try some Prelief.  This is something Over The Counter that you can find in most pharmacies which helps make the urine less irritating.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute