You are here:

Urology/Flaking Skin on Glans


Dry area on glans
Dry area on glans  
I'm a 50 year old circumcised male and for the past 10 years, I have had an area on my glans that is dry & flaky. It has been examined by my primary care physician, a urologist & dermatologist. None seemed concerned.I have used cortisone, Vaseline and hand lotion. Sometimes after showering or being in a pool the area is reddish & chapped. My only concern is that it may be very early penile cancer.Photo attached.


If you've seen a urologist and dermatologist, you can be pretty certain that they are not missing a penile cancer.  Typical problems could be yeast infections, allergies or excema.  The best expert would be the deermatologist so you may want to ask him about the diagnosis and best treatment options.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.