Urology/Increase tsticle size

Question
QUESTION: I had orchytis in the right teste some 5 years ago. I am not sexually active so I was told by the doctor it must have been caused by bacteria in my urinary tract. I work all day long sitting and the pants must have caused an injury in the testicle and the bacteria spread. With antibiotics my problem was solved. But since then I notice that the teste is a little bigger and more sensitive than the left one. What may have caused it?

thanks

Bruno Lima

ANSWER: Bruno:

Usually, after an infection of the testicle, the testicle tends to shrink.  If yours is larger, it suggests a possible collection of fluid such as a hydrocele.  Have your local physician check it to make sure.

QUESTION: Do you mean my testicle may have really got smaller but the hydrocele hides its real size?  What happens if a testicle in this case shrinks? Does it lose part of its hormonal function? Why does it shrink? I feel that the left one is small. Could I have lost part of my capacity os producing testosterone?

Answer
Bruno:

The shrinkage is due to narrowing of the small arteries and blood vessels.  This may affect sperm production in that testicle but usually does not affect testosterone production.

It is not possible to determine the nature of the enlargement you've noted in the testicle from the limited information available.  A hydrocele is one possibility.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD