Urology/do kegels work to stop ejaculation safely ?

QUESTION: hello doctor

i was wondering if kegels can stop ejaculation by contracting the PC muscle and i have read about it on the internet

but are they safe or the ejaculation will be repelled back into my urinary  bladder if i did that contraction which is against the out flow ????

ANSWER: Asser:

We do not recommend Kegels to stop ejaculation.  This is a non-physiological method and may cause some retrograde ejaculation but is not known to be particularly harmful.  

QUESTION: alright doctor

but i also read about " reverse kegels " , which is like relaxing the prenium as if i want to urinate  but off course not urinating but relaxing  the prenium or  relaxing the PC muscle

is that harmful or will cause some urine to pass out in the urethra or what ???

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with these exercises, but what you are describing is not likely to cause any damage but you may end up urinating depending on exactly what muscles you relax and how full the bladder might be.

In general, kegel exercises are not harmful and are often beneficial.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute