Urology/Penis Jelqing

Hi, I am a 17 year old male and recently I have been very worried about my penis. I can't remember when I started "jelqing" techniques exactly but I do know that it was somewhere around 15 or so. My penis has lost a lot of sensation in the head, and normally my penis feels hard even when it is flaccid. I am really worried that I have done irreparable damage to my penis and won't be able to restore to its full previous sensitivity. The edge of my penis is kind of purple and it also feels desensitized, and erections are hard to keep up without constant handling of my penis during masturbation. I am really scared and I have stopped masturbating as I have read that leaving the penis alone can help the nerves heal. I have also started to do warm towel raps around the head of my penis as well as rubbing coco butter on it. If you could please tell me if I am going to be alright or if I have done permanent damage to myself i would be truly thankful, I am currently to scared and embarrassed to talk to my doctor about it, and I feel like there is nothing that he would be able to do for me.

We have been advising men not to do any jelking just for this reason: first, it doesn't work and second there is a significant risk of real damage to the blood vessels, tissues and nerves of the penis.

In most cases, these injuries are relatively minor and will heal slowly over time.  There really isn't much treatment other than rest and possibly Vitamin B-6.  Some have added cialis and similar agents which tend to increase blood flow and this may help a little.

Healing can take months and even years so be patient.

Now go talk to your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute