Urology/prostate biopsy

Dear Doctor, I just had a prostate biopsy prescribed by my specialist on the 4th of this month. I had a little bit of bleeding through the penis on the first three days after that, and then the bleeding appeared to stop. Nevertheless a couple of days ago it started again a little with the blood on the underwear a bit less diluted by the urine than it was in the beginning. I did take ciprofloxacin for 7 days beginning two days before the biopsy and ending 4 days after, 7 days including the day of the operation. What do you think I should do at this moment? For the time being I feel no pain or burning sensation. Thank you.

What you should do is to contact the physician who performed the biopsy and see what he says.  The cipro is to prevent infection and is not intended to control any bleeding.

Most likely, the advice will be to take it easy for a few days and avoid any aspirin or blood thinners.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute