Urology/Why is the prostate ultrasound examination (without biopsy) rare in the diagnosis of the prostatitis and BPH?

Question
QUESTION: A patient is 50s and has been diagnosed chronic prostatitis and BPH by the CT scan and cystoscopy. A doctor only used the ultrasound to examine the patient residual urine but never ordered the prostate ultrasound examination. I noticed if the ultrasound is ordered, most of them are for the biopsy. Can you explain why the prostate ultrasound examination (without biopsy) is rare in the diagnosis of the prostatitis and BPH?

ANSWER: Ray:

Use of ultrasound and particularly prostatic ultrasound is rare for prostatitis, BPH or prostate cancer because the results are unreliable and it doesn't really help in the diagnosis.  It is, however, very helpful in making sure that when we decide to do a prostate biopsy, that we have adequately checked all the areas of the prostate and didn't leave any location out.

While we can do a reasonably reliable estimate of prostate size by ultrasound, this is not needed in the routine diagnosis or treatment of BPH.

Ultrasound is not helpful at all in diagnosing prostatitis so it isn't used for that either.

QUESTION: I read the prostate ultrasound can detect the prostate abscess and whether the seminal vesicles is enlarged or not and demonstrate fibrotic areas, calcifications, and cysts as well as the accurate size of the prostate. It is not understanable why the cost effective prostate ultrasound is not popular in the diagnosis of none cancerous prostate disease though it has some advantages in the diagnosis.

Answer
Ray:

It is true that prostatic ultrasound can detect these things, but with the exception of prostatic abscesses (which are quite uncommon), none of the other entities that you mentioned require any treatment.  The bottom line is that prostatic ultrasound is just not that helpful as a diagnostic tool which is a shame since I have one here and I'd love to use it more but it just doesn't help that much and is unnecessary except for doing biopsies where it is critically important

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD