You are here:

Urology/Rash on Glans



I'm a 24yo, uncircumcised male and I recently noticed a sort of 'rash' on my penis head. This has been going on for about a week now. I'm a clean guy - I shower every day, wear fresh underwear every day too and I all that.  I first noticed a tingly sensation when showering, more specifically when washing my penis. The routine goes like this: I usually 'pull back', soap up, let the soap there while I wash my hair and then pull back and rinse all the soap, wash again quickly and rinse again. This week, as I said earlier, I've noticed a tingly feeling while I leave the soap there, not burning, not discomfort, just tingly.

I'm pretty sure it's not a STD because I haven't had a steady partner in a year or so and I don't fool around, so, full disclosure - My little buddy hasn't been anywhere in a year.

The only thing out of the ordinary I can think of is that I went on vacations the week before last and went in different (public) pools, used the hotel soap to shower and also, was exposed to different water.

Today while I was fooling around, I noticed that my glans is covered in teeny tiny red spots that are sensitive to friction (... friction caused by me pulling my foreskin up and down) and they itch. But only when I touch them or, you know, my foreskin does. Other than this, no itching, no out of the ordinary feeling, no trouble peeing, no burning sensation, no strage fluids, anything. Just the soap and friction seems to cause discomfort.

Like I said, I'm relatively clean, I'm healthy (no diabetes, allergy problems, never had an STD, etc) My shaft, pubic are and testicles are fine atm, just the 'tip' is affected and this is the first time anything like this happens to my penis.

I know your description says you specialize on other branches of urology but hopefully you'll be able to help.

I'm attaching a picture of the specific area (just glands, foreskin retracted, flaccid) - Hopefully the visual will help explain further.

Thanks in advance for your help.


P.S.: I made this sound as straight forward and light-hearted as possible under the circumstances but as I'm sure you can I understand I'm really scared ... I don't want anything to happen to my penis :S


We are specifically prohibited from making diagnoses on this forum.  We only answer general questions.  For a diagnosis, you'll need to see a physician.  For the record, dermatologists are the experts at skin lesions on the penis.  Most such rashes and things are relatively benign and are often allergic reactions, infections or combinations.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.