Urology/Suspected epididymitis

For a couple years now I've been experiencing a soreness on top of my right testicle. There seems to be a hardness on what I think is the head of the epididymis, and a thickness of the varicocele on that affected side. A similar lump is on the top of my left testicle, but it isn't swollen or sore. Sometimes I get an odd feeling in my inner thigh on the right side, and the pain gets worse when I rub or manipulate that part of my right testicle. I'm nervous to go see a doctor about it because of the results I might receive, though these symptoms aren't usually seen with cancer. I also suffer from many allergies that may prevent me from taking an antibiotic to heal a case of epididymitis. What should I do??

First, you should stop diagnosing yourself as you are almost certainly wrong.  It is highly unlikely to have an active epididymitis for as long as several years.  More likely you are looking at a small epididymal cyst, spermatocele or some scarring.  All can produce symptoms similar to what you've described.  

You need to talk to your personal physician.  A scrotal ultrasound may be ordered for you to better diagnose the problem and you may be asked to consult with a urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute