Urology/Suspected epididymitis

Question
For a couple years now I've been experiencing a soreness on top of my right testicle. There seems to be a hardness on what I think is the head of the epididymis, and a thickness of the varicocele on that affected side. A similar lump is on the top of my left testicle, but it isn't swollen or sore. Sometimes I get an odd feeling in my inner thigh on the right side, and the pain gets worse when I rub or manipulate that part of my right testicle. I'm nervous to go see a doctor about it because of the results I might receive, though these symptoms aren't usually seen with cancer. I also suffer from many allergies that may prevent me from taking an antibiotic to heal a case of epididymitis. What should I do??

Answer
Trevor:

First, you should stop diagnosing yourself as you are almost certainly wrong.  It is highly unlikely to have an active epididymitis for as long as several years.  More likely you are looking at a small epididymal cyst, spermatocele or some scarring.  All can produce symptoms similar to what you've described.  

You need to talk to your personal physician.  A scrotal ultrasound may be ordered for you to better diagnose the problem and you may be asked to consult with a urologist.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD