You are here:

Urology/Tear on penis foreskin


For some time now I have had concerns about the skin below the ridge of my penis. During intercourse I experienced the pain of the skin tearing and the healing process has never completed. All round the ridge of my penis I find that a fine skin forms and covers the ridge so that the ridge is completely covered. I have tried pulling the skin back and this results in a painfull tear again which heals after a few days but the skin again covers the ridge. I feel I need to pull the skin down to reveal the ridge again but concerned that this will be extremely painfull and not result in recovery- I would appreciate any guidance on the basis that your advice is free of charge-


If you can't leave it alone long enough to heal, it might need to be repaired surgically.  This involves cutting the "ridge" which is technically called the Frenulum of the penis.

Since this area is often under stress, it often can cause discomfort or even tear.  There are small arteries and veins in this area and it can bleed quite substantially if not handled correctly.

Meanwhile, try using some antibiotic ointment on this area to keep it moist and help protect from infection.  If it doesn't heal well after a reasonable time period, consult a urologist.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.