Urology/tightness

Question
For the past 2 years I have been having tightness in my groin/thigh area on my right side. Its mostly in the inner thigh area but no bulges or bumps I have checked all the time. Its gets more tight it seems after a bowel movement, sometimes when I get an erection or when its cold out. When I walk it feels better feel no pain just an annoying tightness feeling. Its feels like something is being stretched or something. Also when my legs are spread apart it feels better but when they are together or pressure it feels more tight. It started 2 years ago after I lifted some weights but never felt pain or anything when I lifted. But only lifted for one day..I donít have any insurance or anything to go see a doctor. I do use a thigh wrap all the time cause it tends to make it feel better. I will say though for the past few years I have gained weight like 20 pounds, been depressed not much activity at all..Also when I have some alcohol drinks the tightness pretty much goes away, not saying I drink all the time or anything. Last thing my scrotom seems to tighten up a lot as well, and I have had a cyst on my right testical  since I was little had it checked out twice and everything is fine.
A few years ago I was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis and I do have bad irritable bowel  syndrome. So I have a lot of bowel movements and stomach pains a lot..Other then that I canít think of anything else I could tell you. Besides I am really getting frustrated on not knowing what is going on with my inner thigh issue, so if you can help I would really appreciate itÖthank you

Answer
Pat:

I cannot determine for sure what your problem is from only your description, but a groin pull, hernia and prostatitis would be the most likely possibilities.  You'll need to see a physician to be sure.  If you can't afford to see a physician on your own, contact your local county health department and see what resources are available.  There is often a free clinic or a subsidized one that is designed to handle such cases, usually on a sliding payment scale.

Meanwhile, try avoiding caffeine, sit in a hot sitz bath twice daily (may help, won't hurt) and try taking some regular ibuprofen or aleve.  Good luck.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD