Urology/Turp surgeries

Question
Hello, my father is 90 years old, he recently had a turp surgery, he had used a catheter for several months. After the surgery he was able to go without the catheter. The only problem is that the urologist found a small amount of rare cancer cells in the urinay track I guess.
They gave him scans to make sure it had not spread. It had not.
The Dr called it High Grade Neuroendocrine carcinoma I believe.
He said in his opinion the best option at this time is to repeat the trup surgery and try to get all the cancer cells,if I understood him correctly. Do you think this is a reasonable option ? We live in a small town and have a limited number of funds.
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Doug:

Neuroendocrine tumors of the prostate are quite rare, comprising only about 1% of all prostate cancers.  They are high grade and usually do not respond to traditional prostate chemotherapy or radaton but they will respond somewhat to other types of chemotherapy.  

A repeat TURP is very reasonable given this diagnosis with the idea being to remove all the prostate tissue possible.  At the same time, you also have to consider overall quality of life and how much additional treatment to provide to a 90 year old man.  This will depend on his overall health and performance status.

In most cases of neuroendocrine ca of the prostate, the prognosis is unfortunately not too good with most patients living only a year or less.  However, prostate cancers are less aggressive in 90 year old men and there was only a very small area involved so perhaps it's been or will be totally surgically removed.  I've copied a link to a good article on this tumor.  Good luck.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1611899-overview#a1

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD