Urology/urine holding fetish safty

Question
I have an unusual question, I know.  I have since I was very young had a fascination with holding my urine to the point of beginning to loose control. As I got older it became sexual. I like to drink a lot of fluids and then hold. I have recently been indulging in this behavior more often and the question rose in mind as to how safe this practice was.  I have read more than on horror story about water intoxication and bladders being unable to contract after long holding sessions.  Are these risk real?  Are there other risk involved?  I don't know if I can stop completely... is there a safe limit to my desires?  

Please forgive me if I am being to forward.  I was too embarrassed/ashamed to ask my own medical doctor.

Answer
J.

OK, since you asked.  The risks are real and your current behavior is dangerous.  You could easily increase bladder size abnormally, permanently damage the bladder's ability to empty and cause other problems like water intoxication or diabetes insipidis.  There really is no safe limit.  It depends on what is your current bladder capacity and emptying ability.  If it's still normal, you're very fortunate.  If not, you'll pay a penalty for this later such as needed a tube (catheter) to empty the bladder.

Forget about your embarrassment.  You're not too embarrassed to send me the question!  Talk to your physician.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD