I ruptured a blood vessel in my penis.  I have seen a urologist and have had a procedure where they looked in with a telescope like object.  I was told there was no sign of cancer.  I have also had a cat scan and the result came back negative.  

I am staying away from alcohol because it seems to irritate the blood vessel and cause a lot of bleeding.  There are mornings I wake up sometimes with an erection and there is a little bleeding.  

I am thankful there is no sign of cancer and the cat scan was negative.  However, this happened at Easter and I am not completely healed.  Things have gotten better but I have to refrain from alcohol and having any kind of an erection.  The doctor mentioned having surgery (a very brief one) to burn the vessel.  Is that really necessary and are their risks?  Also how long would it take to heal should I not have surgery?

It isn't clear from your desription just where the bleeding is coming from.  I will assume the blood is in the urine because if it were on the skin there would be no need for x-rays or telescopic examinations.

If a ruptured vessel is the source of bleeding, then it should have shown up on one of the examinations, especially the cystoscopy (telescopic exam).  If so, then the source should be clear.

Predicting how such a vessel will behave is not always easy.  Most of the time, if there is a bleeding site inside the passage of the penis, it will stop on it's own.  A small surgery to cauterize it can help and we can also place a temporary catheter to press on the bleeding site.  

In general, if the bleeding continues, we usually will choose one of those options.  

Since there are no details provided on the exact location of the bleeding site, I can't be more specific.  You should discuss your options with your urologist.  If you are uncertain, consider getting a second urology opinion.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute