Urology/paiful urination, painful sex, no infection.

Question
I have been suffering with painful, burning urination, and painful intercourse and pelvic pain on and off for years, but it is getting progressively worse and im currently in a flare and am suffering so much. I've had countless urine tests which come back fine, swab tests for sti's even though ive been with my partner 8 years, all negative, and today I saw a gynaecologist. It was very painful for me, he did say I looked sore, and then did some swabs (any idea what for?). Well he could find nothing wrong, but has said I am constipated which is why my tummy hurts. I have been referred to a urologist but don't know when and this pain is ruining everything for me anyone it is putting a strain on my relationship, I am irritable with my children, and I dread going to the toilet nowadays, it is like having a urine infection constantly. I am in a big flare at the moment when I am not it always hurts to urinate to some degree but it is bearable I have learned to live with it, but its getting out of control. I also have fibromyalgia and other health problems. Thank you

Answer
Ayesha:

Pelvic pain can be difficult to diagnose.  Some possibilities include pelvic muscle dysfunction, interstitial cystitis, hyperoxaluria, and endometriosis.  Theoretically, a gynecologist or urogynecologist should be the experts to handle this for you, but you might want to try and find someone who specializes in pelvic pain disorders possibly at a tertiary care or university hospital where they see these types of problems more often.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD