Urology/Pain after popping

I have come to find through some recent research on my question that it is actually quite common for men to pop or crack their penis while erect in a way similar to popping knuckles.  I started this a few years ago and had no negative effects.  A couple months ago, however, I experienced sharp pain in the base of the penis attempting this.  At the time I was unsure whether the incident was of any significance as the pain soon subsided.  I soon discovered troubling effects however.  When before, it was possible to pop it by pushing the organ forward and down, it is now impossible to reach even thirty or forty more degrees without experiencing a sharp pain mainly on the right side in the base.  This is the only region effected as I could tell and, seeing no improvement with so much time, I have become very concerned nevertheless.  Are you aware of this problem? I very much doubt it is a fracture.  Do you know of any simple treatments?  I would prefer not to visit the doctor on this subject.

I was not aware of the "problem" of popping but I am not surprized as the popping is actually a snapping of ligaments and this can occur anywhere you have multiple ligaments moving over one another.  Popping of the penis is relatively uncommon but as you've found it can cause some pain and discomfort we it is not recommended.  From what you've described, it does not sound like a fracture which is far more severe, is accompanied by significant pain and swelling and is pretty obvious.  

There are no simple treatments for such problems except to avoid more "popping", use of anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and time.  We do recommend that you contact your physician.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute