Urology/Is there any problem for the patient taking the non-selective alpha-blockers who has no heart disease problems?

Question
QUESTION: I have been diagnosed with the bladder outlet obstruction due to the enlarged prostate. I have tried the Cardura, Alfuzosin, Flomax and Rapflo and feel the selective alpha-blockers can only give smooth urine flow but no help to relieve the lower abdominal pain(due to the pressure). But, the non-selective alpha-blockers Cardura not only gives the smooth urine flow but also relieves the lower abdominal pain (due to the pressure). I read the non-selective alpha-blockers are preferred to give the patient with the high blood pressure problems. But, I do not have such a disease at all. Is there any problem for the patient taking the Cardura for a long time, who has no heart disease problems or there is an other option? Thank you for your answer.

ANSWER: Luo:

There is no problem giving the non-selective agents to patients without hypertension except that they are more prone to dizziness from low blood pressure and the dosage therefore needs to be advanced slowly.  Non-selective agents are also far less expensive which is a benefit.  In the unlikely case that your blood pressure is lowered on these agents to the point of causing problems, you might have to switch but this would be unusual.

QUESTION: Thanks for your answer. I do not know why the non-selective alpha blockers Cardura can relieve my lower abdominal pain while the selective alpha blockers canít though both of non-selective and selective alpha blockers can give smooth urine flow. So I have to think I may have overactive bladder problems too because I read the terazosin or doxazosin may help in the treatment of the overactive bladder. The non-selective alpha blockers relax the muscles around entire bladder while the selective alpha blockers only relax the prostate and bladder neck muscles. Can you provide your opinion?

ANSWER: Luo:

Terazosin and doxazosin are not effective for overactive bladder but since they seem to work better for you I would just use them and be grateful they work.

QUESTION: My urologist prescribed the doxazosin 4mg per day but primary care physician did 2 mg. Should the patient start the doxazosin 4 or 2 mg and why? Thank you for your answer.

Answer
Luo:

Doxazosin is a drug that is best started low and then increased to avoid dizziness and other complications.  I would recommend starting at the 2 mg level and give your system time to adjust.  If you get an acceptable result at just 2 mg, then it's reasonable to stop there.  If not, then it can be increased to the usual dose of 4 mg or even the maximum of 8 mg.  Typically, the drug is usually taken just before bed at night.  THis also helps reduce some side effects.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD