Urology/prostate biopsy inconclusive

My husband (52) just had a prostate biopsy done after receiving high PSA test results during a routine health screening.  He had been taking testosterone shots prior to the original high PSA test, and was taken off these and retested again with still high results.  However they also did a pca3 urine test which came back negative.  The dr indicated no abnormalities felt or noted on ultrasound except some slight enlargement but nothing unusual or alarming.  They took 12 biopsy samples, and just called and said the results were "inconclusive" and they are sending them to May Clinic for review. What does this mean?  Is this likely a sign that there are some abnormalities but not cancer?  I am concerned and now we are still waiting.  Any insight would be appreciated.

There are a number of unusual, rare or strange pathologies that can occur in the prostate such as ASAP or hi grade PIN.  Inconclusive means exactly that; they were not sure what the pathology was except that it was probably not 100% normal.  Sending out such specimens for review at a major center is routine in such situations.

Until a final review is completed and available, I really can't tell you any more.  

Mayo Clinic is a fine institution and does alot of this type of referral review.  Another excellent pathology review center would be the AFIP or Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington DC.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute