Urology/prostate biopsy inconclusive

Question
My husband (52) just had a prostate biopsy done after receiving high PSA test results during a routine health screening.  He had been taking testosterone shots prior to the original high PSA test, and was taken off these and retested again with still high results.  However they also did a pca3 urine test which came back negative.  The dr indicated no abnormalities felt or noted on ultrasound except some slight enlargement but nothing unusual or alarming.  They took 12 biopsy samples, and just called and said the results were "inconclusive" and they are sending them to May Clinic for review. What does this mean?  Is this likely a sign that there are some abnormalities but not cancer?  I am concerned and now we are still waiting.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Answer
Robin:

There are a number of unusual, rare or strange pathologies that can occur in the prostate such as ASAP or hi grade PIN.  Inconclusive means exactly that; they were not sure what the pathology was except that it was probably not 100% normal.  Sending out such specimens for review at a major center is routine in such situations.

Until a final review is completed and available, I really can't tell you any more.  

Mayo Clinic is a fine institution and does alot of this type of referral review.  Another excellent pathology review center would be the AFIP or Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington DC.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD