Urology/question about lump

Question
Hi i have a 15 year old son who told me he has had a lump above his left testicle for some time now.  He said it is not in the testicle but above it and that he would almost describe it as a "third testicle." he has had some discomfort with this at times. I know he came and told me about it because we know a 13 year old that had testicular cancer and he was worried about that, but after we looked up signs and symptoms it kind of sounded to him like a spermatocele and so now he is adamant that he does not want to see a doctor and that he is fine.  Recently he told me that it comes and goes and that currently it is gone. I am just wondering if this is potentially something i should be worried about and if i need to make him see a doctor about this.  Thanks

Answer
Tami:

Of course you should be worried.  A spermatocele is not likely to disappear.  THis sounds more like a hernia.  Have it checked by his physician so you have a confirmed diagnosis.  Then you and he can decide when or if further treatment is needed.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD