Urology/question about lump

Hi i have a 15 year old son who told me he has had a lump above his left testicle for some time now.  He said it is not in the testicle but above it and that he would almost describe it as a "third testicle." he has had some discomfort with this at times. I know he came and told me about it because we know a 13 year old that had testicular cancer and he was worried about that, but after we looked up signs and symptoms it kind of sounded to him like a spermatocele and so now he is adamant that he does not want to see a doctor and that he is fine.  Recently he told me that it comes and goes and that currently it is gone. I am just wondering if this is potentially something i should be worried about and if i need to make him see a doctor about this.  Thanks

Of course you should be worried.  A spermatocele is not likely to disappear.  THis sounds more like a hernia.  Have it checked by his physician so you have a confirmed diagnosis.  Then you and he can decide when or if further treatment is needed.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute