Urology/Sex after nerve trauma

2 months ago I practiced jelqing, an exercise where i squeezed my shaft in a milking motion. This caused my penis to go completely numb for 5 feeling, no sensation, no erections. The past three weeks feeling has returned in the glans, under side of the shaft, and partially on the sides of my shaft. I believe I did something to the dorsal nerves because over the top of my shaft where I put the manual pressure is still extremely numb.

The good news is that, when I'm with my partner and I get aroused, I now have normal erections! My morning erections have also returned. What kind of damage to the nerves could I have caused. and is it safe to have sex if I still have some numbness but I have very strong erections? How bad would the risk be of injuring the nerves?

I am in a new relationship and I'd like to resume normal sexual function and still continue healing.

Hope this isn't permanent

Dear Jon,

Although my Urology practice is exclusively devoted to male urethral-genital problems, I generally do not see patients with the injury you describe.  However, I have been contacted many times with nearly identical issues.  Overall, there are nerves that run under the skin on the top of the penis that provide sensation to the head of the penis in particular.  Any nerve can be injured with impact, compression etc.  This is why there is a numbness people can experience in their arms when sleeping in a way that compresses certain nerves etc.  Some mild injuries last minutes, and others for days.  With more severe injuries, up to 6 months is required for recovery.  In general, there is nothing to do but to be patient with the understanding that you will likely eventually be back to normal.  However, no doctor has a "crystal ball" and definitive specific medical advice is best given when you are seen and examined by a doctor.  Best of luck!

Joel Gelman, M.D.

Urethral Stricture Disease, Peyronie's Disease and disorders of penile curvature, Erectile Dysfunction with a focus on penile implant surgery, Male Incontinence, Hypospadias

Dr. Gelman is a Board Certified Fellowship Trained expert in Male Reconstructive Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at UC, Irvine Medical Center.

American Urologic Association Society of GU Reconstructive Surgeons (Board of Directors) International Sexual Medicine Society Western Section, Americal Urological Association

Journal of Urology Urology Journal of Endourology

Residency in Urology, UCLA, completed 1995 Fellowship in GU Reconstruction, Devine Center, completed 1997

The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international Tertiary Referral Center for urethral stricture disease, penile curvature, erectile dysfunction, male incontinence, and other surgical disorders of the male urethra and penis. Patients have travelled from 24 different states and other countries to receive care at the Center for Reconstructive Urology. More information can be found at