Urology/Urethral Stricture

Question
I have been dealing with a urethral stricture since 2008 related to pelvic radiation treatments for anal cancer in 2006. I have had several dilations done. Is a urethroplasty the best answer to correcting this condition? And if so, who is the best doctors to treat and perform the procedure?

Answer
William:

Urethroplasty could be a preferred method, but since we are dealing with radiated tissue the complication rate would be increased.

Your local urologist can give you some options to try such as patient self dilation once a week or DVIU procedures.  Major tertiary care centers may have specialists who have had special fellowship training in reconstruction and stricture treatment.  Two excellent choices would be University of Eastern Virginia in Norfolk and Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD