You are here:

Urology/Urethral Stricture


I have been dealing with a urethral stricture since 2008 related to pelvic radiation treatments for anal cancer in 2006. I have had several dilations done. Is a urethroplasty the best answer to correcting this condition? And if so, who is the best doctors to treat and perform the procedure?


Urethroplasty could be a preferred method, but since we are dealing with radiated tissue the complication rate would be increased.

Your local urologist can give you some options to try such as patient self dilation once a week or DVIU procedures.  Major tertiary care centers may have specialists who have had special fellowship training in reconstruction and stricture treatment.  Two excellent choices would be University of Eastern Virginia in Norfolk and Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen W. Leslie, MD


Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.


Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Awards and Honors
Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute

©2017 All rights reserved.