Urology/I am 22 and i discovered i have only one testis in my scortum

Question
QUESTION: Hi sir,
I am 22 year old male from New Delhi,India
I just discovered that i have only one testis in my scortum.
Although i do not have any problems in producing semen, masturbating.I have been masturbating when i was young.
I also do no face any other problems such as pains or something.
I am confused what should i do.

ANSWER: Harshit:

You should talk to your primary physician. The issue is not that you only have one testicle.  A single testicle is more than sufficient to provide sperm, semen and hormones at a normal leve.  This issue is what happened to the other testicle.  Is it undescended or still located in the abdomen?  Or did it just not develop.  Undescended testicles carry a slight risk of cancer and if not found or fixed early in life, they may need to be removed.

QUESTION: I hope there is no other risk involved in this if its not developed only and what are the chances of cancer.
What will be various tests involved to check where did the other testicle go.

Answer
The risk for testicular cancer will vary according to its location.  Here is a copy of some info from WebMD.

"Having an undescended testicle increases the risk for testicular cancer.

The risk for testicular cancer is more than 20 times greater in males who have an undescended testicle than in other males.
The higher up in the path of descent a testicle stops, the more likely it is to develop a tumor. An undescended testicle in the abdomen is 4 to 6 times more likely to develop cancer than an undescended testicle in locations farther down toward the scrotum.
Moving the testicle to the scrotum may help reduce the higher risk associated with undescended testicles that are not treated. Most doctors recommend surgery to place undescended testicles in the scrotum because this makes it much easier to find testicular cancer if it does develop.

Because of the risk of cancer, men who have an undescended testicle should have regular medical checkups (at least once every 2 years) throughout life. These checkups may include a testicular exam. If you have an undescended testicle, talk to your doctor about how often you need to be checked."

An ultrasound can easily detect a cancer that may still be in the inguinal canal.  if this is negative, then a CT may be needed.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD