Urology/over active bladder

QUESTION: I have been struggling with over active bladder for about 7 months. I have taken a urodynamic test, CT scan, and urinalysis that all came back normal. I have tired vesicare but it doesn't seem to take away the pressure on the testicles.

My question is what can be the cause of pressure of the testicles? If there is an infection, wouldn't it show up on a urinalysis?

ANSWER: Ruben:

Not all infections will demonstrate an abnormal urine test.  I suspect you could have prostatitis which often has normal urine exams.  Ask your physician about this possibility.

QUESTION: I was wondering if there is a relationship between excessive sweating during exercise and over active bladder ?When I play basketball with my friends i sweat way more than everyone else. I was wondering if the excessive sweating and having an overactive bladder mean something. Can I have a sodium imbalance that is causing me to urinate often?

There is no known relationship between excessive sweating and overactive bladder.  It would be expected that increased fluid loss from sweating would reduce bladder activity.  A "sodium imbalance" is not a clear medical term, but a kidney problem could cause an increase of urine production and higher urine volume means urinating more often.  Again, talk to your physician or request a urology consult.  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute