Urology/benadryl

Question
in your previous e-mail to me ,you stated old people over 70 who take flomax can take benadryl.i have  hivesthe only antihystimime that works is benadryl.i have no urologist,and my family doctor is clueless.thanks to flomax i have a good urine flow.does the flomax help urine retention from benadryl.is it safe to take 6 tablets of benadryl per  week total 150,mg

Answer
Howard:

It doesn't work like that.  Flomax helps with blockage from the prostate while the benadryl is a mild anticholinergic which works on the bladder.  There is the potential for the benadryl to cause a problem with urinary retention but this is minimized with the flomax.

Dosage of benadryl is outside my area.  You can check with your pharmacist or just ask your physician.

I am very doubtful that "only benadryl" as an antihistamine can help with your hives.  You may want to check with an allergist to see if some other treatment such as allergy shots might be more appropriate for you and eliminate this issue with the benadryl.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD