Urology/Blood in Urine

I have been having BPH since I was 48, Im now almost 66 will be in August, I have been going to Urologists for all these years, the last month I have my eyes water, ear pluged up, driping sinus, I thought it was some kind of infection, it is dripping down my throat and giving the taste you get just when you have to throw up, I have not thrown up but I have drank at least 40 onces of water since 10am and the first two times I urinated I saw like a rust color and Im sure its blood, I have gone three times since I saw the rust color and my urine doesnt seems to be fine.  I feel this infection or whatever it is draining from my head going down my throat.  I have no erection problems, it feels like a urine infection, the blood seems to come out at first urine and then none after, I have the burning that seems to be at the head of penis.  I have called my family doctor and made an appoitmen for monday.  I am quite concerned because I just had a friend die yesterday and he had the samething, they operated and looked in and there was cancer throughout his body and they just closed him back up.  Do you think I should go see the doctor today?  What is your opinion?  I probably can get into see my doctor as she has been my general MD, for over twenty years.

Your symptoms could be anything.  Just because you have the "same thing" your friend did does not automatically mean you have the same diagnosis.  Your family physician gave you some good advice.  If things get worse or you can't wait, then call your physician to go to an ER.  I would think that this would be something she would want to see more quickly than next week.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute