Urology/Ejaculations following prostate massage under GA

Question
I'm a 44yo fit male and had a cystoscopy and (5-minute, vigorous) prostate massage under general anaesthetic today to treat my Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis.

As I expected, I'm getting significant dysuria since, worse than I expected, but I know it will improve over the next couple of days. I've been started on antibiotics and Tamsulosin also today.

In the past I've been advised to ejaculate regularly by my Urologist to help with the Chronic Prostatitis, something I'd already known helped me. I was intending to masturbate tonight to see if the prostate massage might have made an improvement in my symptoms (sluggish, lumpy, unsatisfying ejaculations) and to help clear the prostate.

However, given the dysuria and the possible bruising that the prostate got today, I'm now apprehensive about ejaculating.

Is it advisable to abstain from ejaculating after a vigorous prostate massage/cystoscopy for a period of time?

Also, might I have blood in the semen as a result of the massage and, if so, for how long?

Answer
Mac:

For this type of very specific recomendation, you really should check with your urologist.  Personally, I'm not a great fan of prostatic massage.  There is no other organ that gets better when you "beat up on it" and the value of the drainage has not been definitively shown to be better than just plain ejaculation which is far more pleasant and less painful.

As a general rule, if the prostate is still sore from the massage, it may be better to wait a day or two.  meanwhile, try sitting in a hot tub.  That often helps and won't hurt anything.  

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD