QUESTION: I am working on a story about a man who is electrocuted through his penis and testicles. However, I need some information. 1.) What kind of damage can be done to the penis/testicles after being electrocuted. 2.)What kind of treatment can be offered? 3.) What kind of examination is done?

ANSWER: Denise:

There is not alot of information on this topic.  Specific damage would primarily be burns with direct tissue injury.  This can be relatively minor or massive.  The extent of the damage would depend on the type, severity and nature of the electrical injury.

Initial treatment is often debridement (surgically remove all dead tissue), pain management, fluid resuscitation, antibiotics and similar measures as dictated by the exact nature of the individual injury.

Examinations of the penis and scrotum are typically done with direct examination, scrotal ultrasound and possibly CT or MRI scans as appropriate.

If a patient is electrocuted and is therefore no longer alive, attempts are made first at resuscitation as there is no point in treating the injury if the patient does not survive.

QUESTION: Thanks for the information. It helps a lot. But I need additional information. The electrocution is caused by wires wrapped around the penis and testicles and attached to batteries, with a grounded wire attached to the big toe. When the device is turned on, the electrical shock is delivered. The shocks were delivered at 5 minute intervals every thirty minutes. Would these be massive or minor? Would the examination be done by a regular doctor first and then an urologist? Or strictly by a urologist? Also, what kind of pain management is given? BTW: the patient will live.

What you have described is not electrocution which, by definition, is a termial or life-ending event.  What you describe is essentially electric shock delivery to the genitalia in a planned and controlled fashion.  There is no legitimate medical use or justification for such events and it is likely to be used for torture as it would be quite painful.  

Since this is not an approved or appropriate medical procedure, no physician is likely to supervise or approve of such treatment and therefore there is no standard examination, medical protocol or data on this type of treatment.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute