Urology/injury recovery

Hello Doctor Leslie,

I'm 22 and I wrote to you a while ago about my injury and just wanted to get update you on my progress. Here's a summary:

About 7 months ago, I was stupidly dry humping with my girlfriend with my erect penis forced downward and I heard a pop. After this ligament injury, my penis became stiff when flaccid and erections were not as strong.

Fast forward 7 months later and the erections have improved in that they are firmer, and when I get an erection, my penis points above the horizontal. The problem is that when I move my penis while erect from left to right, I feel very little resistance as opposed to pre-injury where it was very strong. Another problem is that this stiffness still remains which you mentioned as an influx of blood flow.

My questions are:

- How much longer can a full recovery to pre-injury status take? When I asked you last, you said months to years, but when you say years, do you mean 2 even 3? Am I following the typical recovery process by my symptoms?

-Another less stressing problem is that, after this injury, a couple very thin blue veins appeared on the shaft of my penis. I have noticed that they faded a fair amount since it appeared months ago. Will it continue to fade away with time?

Thank you very much Doctor. If you need any more general information to make an informative guess, please ask.

Unfortunately, the degree and speed of recovery from these injuries is not predictible so I really can't tell you how long.

The fact that you've had some recovery is encouraging.

The veins may or may not have anything to do with your injury.  If they appear to be fading, then this will likely continue.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute