You are here:

Urology/Penile cancer


Hello and good day Dr. I have a few questions regarding penile cancer. I'm not sure if you are an expert in this field, but if you are, would you mind answering these questions for me. I've read that one of the symptoms of penile cancer is a single ulcer at the glans of the penis. I wonder, does this ulcer come and go or it stays at a spot? Secondly, another symptom related to penile cancer is the thickening of the skin of the penis (that's what they wrote on the internet). What does it mean by thickening of the skin? Is is the foreskin or the penis glans? I mean if it is penis glans then it won't be called skin right? That's all I have for now.  I look forward to receive a reply from you Dr. Thank you.

In general, cancers do not come and go. Penile cancers can also involve portions of the penis other than the glans.  The skin along the shaft of the penis can therefore thicken.   Lesions involving the glans penis that come and go may represent a sexually transmitted disease.  If you are asking because you have a lesion on your penis and are concerned it is cancer, you should certainly see a Urologist.  There is no way you can be given advice that you do or do not have cancer without being examined.  Best of luck.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel Gelman, M.D.


Urethral Stricture Disease, Peyronie's Disease and disorders of penile curvature, Erectile Dysfunction with a focus on penile implant surgery, Male Incontinence, Hypospadias


Dr. Gelman is a Board Certified Fellowship Trained expert in Male Reconstructive Urology and the Director of the Center for Reconstructive Urology in the Department of Urology at UC, Irvine Medical Center.

American Urologic Association Society of GU Reconstructive Surgeons (Board of Directors) International Sexual Medicine Society Western Section, Americal Urological Association

Journal of Urology Urology Journal of Endourology

Residency in Urology, UCLA, completed 1995 Fellowship in GU Reconstruction, Devine Center, completed 1997

Past/Present Clients
The Center for Reconstructive Urology is a regional, national, and international Tertiary Referral Center for urethral stricture disease, penile curvature, erectile dysfunction, male incontinence, and other surgical disorders of the male urethra and penis. Patients have travelled from 24 different states and other countries to receive care at the Center for Reconstructive Urology. More information can be found at

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]