Urology/pre-ejaculation fluid

Dear Stephen,
Anytime my boyfriend and I are fore-playing, there is this water-like liquid that comes out of his penis before he ejaculates. its salty  it comes out in very small quantities. i want to know what it is that comes out of his dick looking like water n tasting salty. Again is it a normal occurrence in all males? and if it is not normal then what corrective measures will you suggest for him to take please?

The fluid is quite normal.  Quantities will vary from one individual to another.  The fluid is called pre-ejaculate or pre-cum and it's designed to lubricate the urethra in preparation for ejacultion.  If the passage is already wet, there is less loss of even small amounts of sperm during ejaculation.  Since this is a normal finding, there is no corrective treatment needed.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute