Urology/Prostate Inflammation

Healing after a button TURP 17 months ago has been less than ideal resulting in periodic hematuria in urine last few months whenever I lift anything heavy. Results of urogram and cystoscopy indicate only prostate inflammation. While the cause of inflammation is usually unknown the literature indicates that certain foods and alcohol can irritate the prostate. I'm on a 10 day course of antibiotics but my understanding is that bacterial infections cause only 5-10% of  prostate inflammation cases.Given that I have no other symptoms when I partake in these irritants is there anyway of moderating or knowing when I've indulged too much causing an  irritation? Or do I have to give up all fried foods, alcohol, spicy/acidic food, juices,hot pepper, etc. forever?

We often recommend avoidance of many of the foods you mentioned in cases of chronic prostatitis.  While proven bacterial infections are only 5-10%, at least 50% of all prostatitis cases benefit from antibiotic therapy so we use it.  Caffeine and spicy foods (hot peppers) irritate almost every case.  The other foods are less certain.  since your only symptom is bleeding, you will have to determine for yourself what your tolerance level is.  Our experience has been to limit caffeine and the hot spices but allow the rest if possible.  Fried foods and juices don't seem to make that much of a difference, but some juices contain high levels of potassium which is sometimes an irritant.

In some cases, use of a 5ARI medication can help with bleeding and help shrink some of the irritated tissue.  An example of such a medication would be finasteride.  In my own practice, I would have recommended a long term course of an antibiotic such as sulfa/trimethoprim along with the finasteride.

It has been my experience that laser vaporization treatments and plasma button TURPs tend to create more inflammation right after surgery than standard TURP procedures.  Tissue that is heated but not quite enough to cause vaporization will remain irritated and burned after the surgery is over.

Most of the time, such inflammation slowly resolves over time.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute