Urology/Significant amount of blood in urine

I had prostrate cancer 6 years ago and underwent radical surgery, followed by radiotherapy for three months.  Now for the past 4months there has been blood in my urine. Also in this time I have had recurrent kidney infection treated by antibiotics. I have  had to wait for 7 days before I can give a urine sample to my oncologist. Please can you give me the slightest idea what could be wrong. My last psa results were normal. Many thanks

You could have an infection, regrowth of prostate cancer, or radiation cystitis.  There is no such thing as a PSA level that is "normal" after radical surgery.  The fact that you had radiation too suggests that all of the cancer was not removed with the original surgery.

There must be some reason you are getting the UTIs.  You should discuss this with your urologist.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute