Urology/Swelling Post Surgery

Question
I had hydrocele surgery in 12/12. The swelling went down over time and now has re-appeared. The fluid was clear.  Approximately two months ago I went to the physician who did the surgery and he withdrew 4 cc of fluid he labeled post-op fluid.  The fluid re-appeared. I went back to the same doctor about a week ago and the doctor again withdrew 4 cc of fluid.  The fluid was very yellow. The amount of fluid was a lot because the doctor applied pressure to make more fluid come out. When the doctor was done I was in extreme pain.  Now even after 6 nights of icing the sore area the swelling has returned I am in a lot of pain and it really hurts to sit beyond 10 seconds. The doctor wants to re-operate to see what if anything went wrong. Help!

Answer
Damon:

There should not be any additional collections.  Most of the time, once a hydrocele has been repaired, that should be it but rarely something similar can return.  Yellow fluid suggests sero-sanguinous fluid or tissue fluid which is not the same as the clear hydrocele fluid.  A repeat exploration is reasonable since there is a recurring problem and it has not been fixed with simple drainage.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD