Urology/Swelling Post Surgery

I had hydrocele surgery in 12/12. The swelling went down over time and now has re-appeared. The fluid was clear.  Approximately two months ago I went to the physician who did the surgery and he withdrew 4 cc of fluid he labeled post-op fluid.  The fluid re-appeared. I went back to the same doctor about a week ago and the doctor again withdrew 4 cc of fluid.  The fluid was very yellow. The amount of fluid was a lot because the doctor applied pressure to make more fluid come out. When the doctor was done I was in extreme pain.  Now even after 6 nights of icing the sore area the swelling has returned I am in a lot of pain and it really hurts to sit beyond 10 seconds. The doctor wants to re-operate to see what if anything went wrong. Help!

There should not be any additional collections.  Most of the time, once a hydrocele has been repaired, that should be it but rarely something similar can return.  Yellow fluid suggests sero-sanguinous fluid or tissue fluid which is not the same as the clear hydrocele fluid.  A repeat exploration is reasonable since there is a recurring problem and it has not been fixed with simple drainage.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute