Hi Doc, I have been using Androgel for quite awhile (on my 4th one now)..my Urologist had me on 1 pump per day...when I got tested there was no improvement, so he upped it to 2 pumps per day...and alas,,,no improvement (I am 62 years old and my level is 157)..so he told me to stop the gel and he has scheduled me for a Testopel procedure.....my insurance is covering some of it, but it is going to cost me $470 out of my pocket every 4 Months, kind of high for my wallet, but if it works I guess its worth it,,,but my question to you is...is this preferable over any of the other methods..ie: the patch or injections? thank you for your opinion...Nick

It's not really better, it's just different.  Androgel sometimes has a problem with absorption, so before going to an implant, I would normally suggest trying one of the other gels like Testim.  Injections are also an option and they are relatively inexpensive, but levels have to checked to make sure all testosterone readings are in the normal range. There is also the new underarm get called axiron which might be worth a try.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute