Urology/Uncomfortable feeling in Penis post surgery

I had a optical urethonomy done on me for a stricture. Its been about one month now and when i wake up to pee for the first time its hard to urinate right away. Takes about 20 seconds to urinate or so. But i haven't got blockage and not been able to pee. After that initial pee i pee okay. But its been a while now that i just don't feel comfortable down there. Its a bothersome feeling and it feels like its around my testicles not so much the penis but also a slight weird uncomfortable sensation there every once in a while. I've also felt like stings in my penis at one point like a stabbing sensation. This doesn't happen a lot but its happened more than once. Should i be concerned the operation didn't really do anything but make things worse? Is there something that could fix a stricture/ a narrow of the urethra. I'm 19 and i just want to be able to feel comfortable and be able to feel normal.

An optical urethrotomy is done for scar tissue or strictures.  I can affect sensation to some degree, especially close to the surgery.  It's designed to open up narrowed, scarred sections of the urethra.  Since this area is often sensitive, it can create some sensory issues.  

Optical urethrotomy surgeries are standard for significant strictures but they don't guarantee a good result as scar tissue often returns.  An open urethrotomy where a section of normal tissue is substituted for the scarred area is a more complex surgery but has better outcomes.  We typically will try the optical urethrotomy several times before resorting to the bigger surgery.  We will also recommend that patients do self catheterization for dilation periodically to help keep the passage open.

At this point, it's unclear why you are still having a problem since the stricture should be fixed for now.  Check with your surgeon.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute