Urology/Urine leakage after bowel movement.

I'm a 30 year old male. After I use the bathroom it feels like urine is leaking. I'll look and see a spot on my underwear. I seem to leak worse after a bowel movement. My bowels are normal. No trouble with constipation. No frequent urinating or waking up at night to urinate. Though I do feel sometimes pressure in bladder. Was tested for UTI a while ago. Came back negative. I do feel like I have trouble passing gas at times. I did go for a physical blood and urine test. Everything came back fine. Any help would be appreciated. I was also diagnosed with IBS 3 years ago. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

You have post void dribbling, which is quite common.  The best way to deal with this is to press the small amount of urine out by putting your hand in front of the scrotum after you void and then pressing in while moving the hand forward.  This will push out a teaspoon or so of urine which will then not be able to cause spots on your underwear.

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute