Urology/Varicocele and chastity device

Question
Hi there!  After an ultrasound at the ER, I was diagnosed with a varicocele.  The symptoms started a week earlier, around the same time my wife and I became interested in using a chastity device.  The device consists of a ring which encircles the scrotum and penis, and an attached cage which houses the penis.  

Obviously, an improperly sized ring can cut off circulation, and so I think I probably caused the varicocele while I was trying to find the right fit.  (Many men wear these devices 24/7 with absolutely no issues.  The correct ring size should allow proper circulation, I just messed up).  

Now I'm wondering whether or not I can do further damage to my testes by continuing to wear the device (with the proper fit), or if I need to abstain from the device altogether?

Also, if I get a varicocelectomy, am I at a higher risk for another varicocele later if I continue with the device, or should I be "back to normal"?  Because my wife and I really enjoy this new toy, and we would be very sad to have to swear it off.  

Thanks so much for your answer!

Answer
Steve:

We do not recommend the use of ring devices on the genitals as you've described.  There is no way to get a "proper fit" under all circumstances and just what do you think will happen in a car accident or fall?  Nothing good.  There is also the possibility of skin erosions, irritation and accident.

There is no medical or scientific evidence to support safety of this device.

Likewise, there is no published data on what the long term use of such a device might be so we cannot answer your question about it's safety or effects on later development of a varicocele.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD