Urology/Vasectomy

Question
Recently my husband went in for a vasectomy after several Attempts the dr told him he would have to be out to sleep and treated as an outpatient surgery. Is this normal? Should we find a different dr?

Answer
Lynn:

It is certainly not "normal" to do a vasectomy under anesthesia but it can happen.  In some cases, the vas may be hard to identify or the patient's body size and shape make it difficult.  If the surgeon is a certified urologist, then he would be expected to have the necessary competence and experience to know when an outpatient surgical approach is needed.  I've done this just a handful of times in my 30 years of practice.

If the surgeon is not a urologist, then I would suggest a consultation with a local urologist before making a decision.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD